Ready for another simple idea to personalize your home? I originally saw this idea on Pinterest, but couldn’t really find any directions on how to create this anniversary date canvas…so, I experimented and this is what I came up with! (Note: The canvas reads left to right – for example, our anniversary is November 5, 2010. This has confused some people at first glance so I want to make sure you are not one of the confused!)
- Canvas: I used a 10×20 canvas from Hobby Lobby. It was $8.99 and I used a 40% off coupon to get it for less!
- Acrylic Paint: I used black. You can use whatever color you desire! I already had the paint, but Hobby Lobby has endless colors for $2.99 a bottle.
- Paint Brushes: I purchased basic ones from Hobby Lobby, as well.
- Stencils: I used 5″ Times New Roman stencils from Hobby Lobby. They were $8.99 and again, I was able to use a 40% off coupon to get them for less. Depending on what size canvas you use, you may need a different size, but these work perfectly for the 10×20 sized canvas.
- Using your stencils, align the numbers on the canvas evenly and trace them out lightly with a pencil. You don’t want the pencil to show through the paint at all.
- Trace the outline of the letters with a very thin paintbrush.
- Fill in the rest of the letter with paint, using a thicker paintbrush. I am a perfectionist, and will admit that because I’m not an artist, it is hard to make sure your numbers look completely even with a paintbrush. But honestly – no one is going to notice if it’s a little bit off. And if they do…oh, well!
- Let the canvas dry and hang in its desired place!
This is one of the simplest crafts I have EVER done. It doesn’t take very long, and it’s really inexpensive to create!
I also kind of like that the meaning of the canvas isn’t obvious at first glance — it makes you think. This also makes it more special and meaningful to Bryan and I, which helps create the “us” atmosphere I wanted!
Looking for more?